Wednesday, October 11, 2017

week 4 reflections

  • Was the experience valuable to you? How so?
This has definitely been a valuable experience.  I had a vague idea of CoPs existing prior to this, but I didn't think I had much of a place with them since I don't have a master's.  However, reading about CoPs and starting to engage with them has really shown me the value they have.  It's a great place for networking, resources, and for professional development.  It's also a wonderful way to keep up with new information and research.  I'm planning on staying plugged in with my CoPs and hopefully engaging with them on new levels after the program is complete.

  • Would you recommend to your faculty or another instructional designer colleague the use of communities of practice for teaching and learning? Do you have any suggestions for making the experience more valuable?
Definitely.  I think this is especially wise to create for students as they leave a program - a way for them to stay engaged with others in the field and with information.  In a lot of ways, the cohort they travel through the program with is their CoP, so it makes sense to continue that in some format afterwards, too.  For faculty it can broaden the perspectives they have, give them new ideas on presenting information, and keep them up to date in the field.

  • What final insights did you learn about your chosen learning goals from Week 1?
I definitely think I've grown in my understanding of the various theories and how they interact with each other.  I also have a greater respect for the theories and why it's valuable to at least be aware of them.  I'm happy with how my concept map has grown and changed and become more connected (and messy!).  Theory always seemed too heady for me before, but making the concept map really helped break them down and make them digestible.  I don't find them so intimidating anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kim, I am happy to read that the concept map exercise is not so intimidating any more - I'm glad you persevered. I also agree with you about students creating connections and continuing them long-term but I've learned it is a challenge to get them to stay in touch. Do you have any thoughts/recommendations on how that might actually work to keep them motivated? All best, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I must agree with you wholeheartedly. I never imagined the experience with CoP would be so intriguing and valuable. Like you, CoP does create a method for students to stay engaged after the class. I believe that will be the case for all of us in the ID course. I hope that we are all strategic in our methods to stay connected either through our blogs or other methods. I personally have gained a great deal of insight from you and others in this class.

    Thanks Ralene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was excited to read your blog of total transformation, as you started reluctant (as was I) and now have found comfort in the CoP environments. I've enjoyed reading your posts and wish you the best moving forward! ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

week 4 reflections

Was the experience valuable to you? How so? This has definitely been a valuable experience.  I had a vague idea of CoPs existing prior t...